Sunday, April 20, 2008

Reading Roundup




Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner. This is a long-awaited follow up to Good In Bed. I don't remember looooooooving Good In Bed like so many others, but I couldn't pass up the chance to read this when it crossed my desk. Surprisingly, I really liked it. It isn't as much of a "chick lit" book, probably because it takes place something like thirteen years later and the main character has a 12 year old girl. This is about family and relationships and growing up.

The Cure for Modern Life by Lisa Tucker. I picked this one up because it didn't look like my usual fare--executive at a pharmaceutical company takes in two homeless children, etc. Blech...there's a reason this isn't my usual fare. Take a pass on this one.

Farewell, My Subaru by Doug Fine. Another city slicker takes on green living. It said something on the cover about living a 21st Century life, complete with iPods and whatnot, but in a sustainable way. I expected something more...I don't know...accessible? Turns out, this guy moved to the middle of nowhere in New Mexico and raised goats. Not exactly info I can use.

The Wives of Bath by Wendy Holden. Ah, now we're talking. Fluffy chick lit set in England. Two women as different as can be--one a pampered princess and one a crunchy granola sort--each becoming a mother for the first time. My kinda book! Not going to win the Booker Prize, but enjoyable.

No comments: