The reality: It's sort of a toss up.
The process: First I cut the sleeves off. Using a well-fitting tee as a pattern, I took in the sides and chopped off some of the length. I also followed the shape of the other tee to reshape the arm holes and make the shoulders fit better.
Next was the sleeves. What to do, what to do. Hmm. I was liking the idea of a slightly puffed sleeve, so I cut a tiny hole in the hem of a sleeve and fed elastic through it. I tried on the sleeve, pulled the rest of the shirt over it, and thought it looked pretty good. At that point, I figured I could shorten the sleeves by taking length off the TOP instead of around the hem. In this picture, you can just about see the pin marking where to cut.
I trimmed the sleeves, pinned them in place, and sewed them back in. Next question was what to do with the neckline. I knew I didn't want to leave it as is, and I knew I didn't want to cut it and leave it raw. What I ended up doing was taking the fabric I cut from the bottom of the shirt and sewing it around a reshaped neckline like a makeshift bias tape.So...it's okay. It's a navy blue tee I can wear with a skirt, as opposed to a tee some guy used to wear to the gym. But...I don't know. There's something bothering me about it.