Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ye Olde Dress to Skirt Refashion

Because this was done before I joined Wardrobe Refashion, there are no "Before" pictures. So imagine if you will...

I bought a dress at the annual Jewish Community Center clothing sale for $5. It was a very stiff, slim-fitting, floor-length dress that I had no hope of fitting into, but I loved the fabric, so I bought it, thinking I'd use the fabric for a bag. Fast forward about seven years while the dress sits untouched. Finally, last year, I dragged it out and realized there was a nice little summer skirt buried in there.




This drawing shows where the skirt came from. After making the cuts, I put in a new zipper, finished the (no longer tiny) waistband with bias tape, and put in a new hem. While this isn't a stunningly new idea in refashioning, it is a little more involved than making a casing and running elastic through it, so I'm glad I had some sewing experience under my belt before I tried this! Now to work on my illustration skills....

No comments: