Saturday, June 7, 2008

Book Break

Funny these two books are ending up in a post together, because they're about as different as can be!



Pack Up the Moon is by an Irish writer, Anna McPartlin. It's about how a young woman's life changes after her fiance is killed in an accident. She has the requisite mixed bag of friends by her side, copes with getting back into dating, etc. I always feel bad when I dismiss a book like this--I mean, I have trouble just writing a review--but it was all so predictable. P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern had a similar premise, and I enjoyed it more.



Skeletons at the Feast. I always enjoy a book by Chris Bohjalian, and this was no exception. Somehow, though, I failed to prepare myself for how hardcore a book about German refugees during WWII could be. In this, it reminded me of The Kite Runner. It's just one thing after another, relentlessly. Of course, that captures what it would have been like, staying one step ahead of the Russian army. Very good book. Not my favorite Bohjalian (and my friend, who usually likes him, HATED it), but I would recommend it.

No comments: