Friday, October 3, 2008

California Dreamin'


One thing I really wanted to do on our recent trip to California was go fabric shopping. Yes, really. Who needs beaches and sunshine? Just turn me loose on the fabric!

We stopped at Fabric Town USA, in Ventura, on our way from the airport to Santa Barbara. It was all a little overwhelming for me, seeing all those fabulous fabrics I usually only see in pictures. Moda fabrics! Katie Jump Rope! Amy Butler! Oil cloth! Unfortunately, sticker shock hit me within the first ten feet, when I realized the average price per yard was $8.99.

Not wanting to let the dream die so quickly, I sniffed out the clearance table. Mostly solids. But wait...after a little digging I found two Robert Kaufman prints I liked.

Having just made the clothespin bag, I thought the one on the left would lend itself to that sort of thing. The one on the right will eventually become a skirt. I know you're all shocked, but won't that look great with a brown or orange tee shirt?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the one on the right will be a gorgeous skirt. I love that material. I can't wait to see the finished product

I need to quit looking at all your projects, it makes me want to sew again :-)

Penny

Anonymous said...

The one on the right reminds me of Gustav Klimt's paintings...