Thursday, December 18, 2008

Googly Eyes and Sequins



We had a very elaborate Christmas last year, so I wanted to dial it back this year. I flirted with the idea of a simply decorated live tree, but a) I didn't want to spend the money and b) I knew I'd miss seeing all my favorite ornaments.

Looking around, I think I may be the only blogger in the world with a fake tree. I'll admit, it's not quite the same as a fragrant fir, but it does have its advantages.

It's easy to set up.
It never dries out.
No allergic reactions (Gerry) or cases of poison ivy (me).
The lights are already on (although I would like colored lights again sometime soon).
No worries about cutting down some critter's home.
I can bend the branches anywhere I want, and they're strong enough to hold heavy ornaments.
There's lots of room for lots of ornaments.
It was really cheap.


So I went with the fake, the decorating has begun, and I'll share some of my favorite ornaments with you over the next few days. Oh, who am I kidding? They're all my favorites!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

well if it helps - I read both of them. :o)

couldn't help you with the rest - I'm still wondering who's reading mine. LOL

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

We have had an artificial tree for almost 18 years now. Most of the family has allergies/asthma and it is our best choice. I love how easy they are. I can put them up right after Thanksgiving and keep it up until the New Year if I want.

I love all the ornaments :)

Becca said...

We use a fake tree...when we use a tree. I think we might even be too lazy to set it up this year. The saddest part is that it is only a couple feet tall and we have to hang it from the ceiling because otherwise the cats will eat the ornaments.

So don't feel bad about your tree, at least you decorated it!