Saturday, June 19, 2010

Refresh

This is heaven. This is something that doesn't exist in my grocer's freezer. This is pink grapefruit sorbetto. There is no high fructose corn syrup lurking in that bowl.
.
This is just what I wanted. I'd been drifting over to the freezer section everytime we went to the market, but everything was full of artificial this or unpronouncable that or, of course, the ubiquitous HFCS.
.
So what is it? Fresh grapefruit juice. Water. Raw sugar. Why sorbetto and not just sorbet? Because it's one of the few Italian words I know...along with gelato...and it conjures memories of our trip last Summer.
.
Next up? Peach. I must have peach.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Looks delish! Recipe?

Care said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! It looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

6 fresh grapefruit, juice them, strain out any pulp and seeds
should yield about 3 cups juice

@1 1/2 cups sugar

dissolve sugar in juice completely, chill 2 hrs

put in ice cream maker, start

as sorbetto begins to thicken, add 1 egg white

complete process using mfgr directions

freeze, eat, not necessarily in that order...

gerry

Samina said...

Looks yummy! Thanks Anon, for the recipe! Also, I finally began your 9 patch quilt. I'm about midway through the cutting & piecing. It's fun, except that my cuts suck.

KLS said...

If you want ice cream without hfcs, try Haagen Dasz Five.
It only has five ingredients and none of them is hfcs.
That is the only kind I can find without it.

I'm going to try your recipe.

Anonymous said...

Mmm...that looks tasty (not to mention that anything cold and sweet sounds good at the moment :-D). Making my own ice cream/sorbet/frozen yogurt is on my list of things to do this summer so I may have to try this...