My husband, Gerry, had been shopping for a pair of lightweight pants to wear on vacation. He'd been contemplating some options online, but when he saw the pair of linen pants I'd made for myself, he realized I could probably make him a pair as well. He asked for a few more details: front and back pockets, cargo pockets, and a fly.
I started by looking through my stash of patterns and found Butterick 6885, which includes a pair of drawstring pajama pants with a fly. I figured I could work with that, but JoAnn's had Simplicity patterns on sale for $1.99 right then, so I headed up there to see if they had anything better. One of their patterns for scrubs looked promising, but it was out of stock, so I kept looking. Finally I decided to buy Simpllicity 5581 and use the pocket pieces to turn those pajama pants into cargo pants.
I also added a little more hardware (three buttons instead of one and some D-rings) and back pockets which close with velcro. For the waist, I used my favorite technique from Simplicity 7092 which combines elastic with a drawstring. Although I had some fabric in my stash which might have worked, I bought this lightweight ripstop cotton for 60% off. I spent about $16 to make these, including the fabric, thread, buttons, D-rings, and extra pattern.
Ger is not around right now to pose for photos, but I will certainly share some when I get a chance! I'm so pleased with how they turned out, I want to add some pockets to MY pair now!