Monday, February 28, 2011

Hold me.

This is so hard for me to talk about, I've been wrestling with it all day. I guess I should just come out and say it: I'm getting rid of my Martha Stewart Living magazines.
I think I may be hyperventilating, and I'm not even kidding. I keep having to remind myself to take deep breaths. In...and out. In...and out. Calm thoughts. I may need a twelve step program and a sponsor to call when it all gets too overwhelming.

Why am I putting myself through this? Because we're having our floors refinished. That means we have to move everything out of one side of the house...and then move everything to the other side of the house. This has given me a new outlook on decluttering. If it's going to happen, now is the time.

My first target was the bookcases. As I approached them, the first thing I noticed were the rows of Martha magazines. I have about eight or nine linear feet of Marthas, every issue going back to number one. My first instinct was to ignore them. They're my Marthas--of course I'm keeping them. But the thought of them kept niggling at me. They take up a lot of space. And they're awfully heavy. And I don't look at them that often. --sigh-- The writing was on the wall.

So my plan is to start with the most recent ones and work backwards until I can't stand it anymore. I will hang onto the first year, probably, and I'm keeping all the December issues. So far I've done 2010 and started on 2009. I'm not laboring over them--just a quick flip through, tearing out anything I want to keep. But, oh, the second guessing!

Tell me it will be okay.

7 comments:

Christy said...

I did that with my Real Simple magazines last summer and while it was hard to give them up, it was really nice to have the feeling of passing them on (I donated them to the art teacher at my school after tearing out what I wanted).

Vicki W said...

It will be less painful if you will sell them on eBay. Over 5 years ago I sold the first year of those magazines on eBay and made enough to buy myself a VERY nice camera! I bet the first year issues sell for over $100 now.....each.

Anonymous said...

Well darn, Vicki, Now you tell me!

Petunia, I have done that with the Real Simple and my beloved Marthas and my greatly loved Victorias. Heartbreaking at the time - but, like you said, I had not looked at them for years.

I also had lots of The Artists' magazine and Watercolor Secrets. I did realize I need to stop reading about how to paint and just paint.

Lots of luck. I do save some for school and give some to fellow teachers.

I'll think of you. Sometimes, if you look at them, it's worse.

Linda

Denise said...

I went through all my mags this year as well as all my books and still have too many. Funny how you become attached to something that in the scheme of things really doesnt matter as much as other things like family, friends and your home.

Darling Petunia said...

Vicki, I'm keeping the first year because of the prices I've seen on ebay. I know the ones from the later years will never be worth anything, though, so I might as well rid myself of the load!

Paula Jo @ Home Decor | Outdoor Garden Decorations said...

It comes time every now and then that we have to start throwing away those old magazines. I know it's hard, but just think, it will be all worth it when you see your new floor.

Rebecca said...

I too got rid of about two years worth of Real Simple magazines a few months ago. I just took them to work with me and set them down on the conference table-- within a few days they were all gone.

I'm not sure if passing on clutter is good karma or not, but it was way easier emotionally then just chucking them into the recycling!