Saturday, March 5, 2011

Feeling Blue

So that Martha Stewart kitchen I posted yesterday--the one that's all monochromatic and zen-like? None of you really thought I was going to go in that direction, did you? That was just me saying, "Look! Maybe the cabinet color isn't too bad after all! Maybe if we just redo the tile and paint the walls it'll be fine!" And, you know, our cabinets are a perfectly nice color. But they've been a perfectly nice color for twelve years now, and we are ready for something new.
.
Something more like...
.
Okay okay okay, maybe not THAT extreme, either. But whenever we visit a Cath Kidston store, my husband has to hear me say, over and over, mournfully, "Oh, I wish I could use some of these things in OUR kitchen." And then I heave a heavy sigh --SIGH-- as I leave behind all those red and white spotted tea cosies. Sad, isn't it?
.
But how about a compromise? What if I create a space that's clean and bright, but still with some room for whimsy and personality? How about something like the kitchen I've been dreaming about for, oh, about four years now?
Source: Yvonne Eijkenduijn , The Yvestown Blog.
Source: Yvonne Eijkenduijn, The Yvestown Blog.
Now we're talking. I want white. I want bright. I want to use all the red, shiny things I love. The next logical step for a lover of Cath Kidston? Light blue.
And as you can see, that could work! Obviously, we're going to have to make do with what we have in some areas, but I think this is a step in the right direction. Now I just have to pick out the blue. In the meantime, we've started on the cabinets. Not much painting yet, but lots of prep: unscrewing the hardware, removing the glass, scrubbing, meticulously labeling everything so it will be easy to put it all back together. Tomorrow the painting begins in earnest. Then, when I see how that looks, I can concentrate on the wall color.

Oh, I'm ready.

7 comments:

LLangevoort said...

Good Luck. Linda L

Christy said...

Ooh I LOVE those colors!!! It's going to look awesome! I can't wait to see if finished! Will we get pictures of more than the corner of one counter? =)

grnhbr said...

Speaking of someone who loves blue! And I do. Dining room is blue. Living room blue and brown. Hallways blue. Sons room blue. New bathroom blue. New kitchen will either be painted blue or will have blue and green glass tiles.
I like the blue shade of the one on the right. My dining room was the color of the one on the left. We have toned it down and now have it painted a blue/gray color.
I cannot wait to see what you do!!
I know it's going to look awesome.

Sherry from Alabama said...

Lucky you, to have a husband that actually "wants" to have your cabinets painted. My cabinets are stained oak and my husband refuses to have them painted. Here's my post where I whined about it: http://ahappyvalentine.blogspot.com/2011/02/being-happy-with-what-i-have.html

I think your blue will look lovely with touches of red. I can't wait to see the pictures of your newly decorated kitchen. Maybe I can pick up some pointers.

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

Melanie said...

Love this idea! You should be surrounded by the things you love, so go for it : )

Karen said...

I love color in my kitchen but the thought of open shelves gives me pause. Maybe I'm just a messy cook (OK - I admit it - I am definitely a messy cook!) but the thought of washing everything after a meal does not appeal to me. I'm thinking about getting cabinets with glass in them for a more open feel without the mess.

Can't wait to see what end up doing!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see!!!

Mags