Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sweating the Details

Ready for an update on The Great Closet Clean Up? As you might have noticed, I've been lax, and that's because the categories I have left seem so daunting: sweaters and skirts. Besides the sweaters in this armoire, there are also totes full of them up in the attic, and it just seemed overwhelming to drag them all out. Today, feeling guilty about procrastinating, I decided to ignore the sweaters in the attic (which are mostly heavier sweaters or turtlenecks anyway) and just concentrate on what was at hand: basic cardigans, lightweight pullovers, and short sleeved sweaters.

I did a great job on short sleeved sweaters, beginning with twelve and keeping only seven. That's almost half! Lightweight pullovers went from sixteen down to eleven, so a loss of five. Cardigans were a little tougher: I began with nineteen and moved only five to the donate pile. I think that's because the option of buttoning or not makes them a little more versatile.


While I was on a roll, I finished up the armoire by culling long sleeved tees and anything striped or patterned. The long sleeved tees were another tough area, because I mostly wear them underneath other things. I started with fourteen and pulled only four to donate. Striped and patterned tees: kept ten, lost three.


I'm going to attempt a before and after here:




It doesn't look as dramatic as I hoped! Keep in mind that I'm also rearranging, so there are things in the armoire now that I used to keep in the closet. Even so, I think you can see a big difference in the bottom two shelves. I got rid of a LOT of black tops that had seen better days and many tees in green hues that were just not flattering.


Speaking of black tops, I culled both my basic, black cardigan and a black v-neck sweater. That was a real hurdle for me, because I have a need for both in my wardrobe, but they were past their prime. I had to keep telling myself, "You can replace it with something better." I did hang onto a few things that are less than stellar, but they are on probation now. If I don't find myself wearing them this fall/winter, they are O-U-T!


Now I'm afraid that I've dodged the attic as long as I can! Unless I want to work on skirts...

4 comments:

Samina said...

You're much better @ all of this cleaning & culling out than I am. I keep convincing myself that I'll get around to wearing whatever the item is at some point. Then, when I do get rid of something, I agonize over it for weeks. Lame, I know.

Darling Petunia said...

Samina, I think the key is to try everything on, one thing after the other, so you can really see how much better certain things look. It's much easier to get rid of the not-quite-right sweater when you've just seen yourself in the one that makes you feel wonderful!

Darling Petunia said...

P.S. The things I culled are gone, and I'll never give them a second thought. There are, however, things I've KEPT that I'm thinking about ditching now!

Paula Jo @ Home and Garden Decor said...

You are doing such a great job and it shows. You have so many clothes, and I bet you are happy to be getting it more organized.