I did a great job on short sleeved sweaters, beginning with twelve and keeping only seven. That's almost half! Lightweight pullovers went from sixteen down to eleven, so a loss of five. Cardigans were a little tougher: I began with nineteen and moved only five to the donate pile. I think that's because the option of buttoning or not makes them a little more versatile.
While I was on a roll, I finished up the armoire by culling long sleeved tees and anything striped or patterned. The long sleeved tees were another tough area, because I mostly wear them underneath other things. I started with fourteen and pulled only four to donate. Striped and patterned tees: kept ten, lost three.
I'm going to attempt a before and after here:
It doesn't look as dramatic as I hoped! Keep in mind that I'm also rearranging, so there are things in the armoire now that I used to keep in the closet. Even so, I think you can see a big difference in the bottom two shelves. I got rid of a LOT of black tops that had seen better days and many tees in green hues that were just not flattering.
Speaking of black tops, I culled both my basic, black cardigan and a black v-neck sweater. That was a real hurdle for me, because I have a need for both in my wardrobe, but they were past their prime. I had to keep telling myself, "You can replace it with something better." I did hang onto a few things that are less than stellar, but they are on probation now. If I don't find myself wearing them this fall/winter, they are O-U-T!
Now I'm afraid that I've dodged the attic as long as I can! Unless I want to work on skirts...