Sunday, January 1, 2012

Parsnips with Personality!

Here is one of those top-secret craft projects I was working on for Christmas:  parsnips with personality!  This year I was determined to gift my husband with homemade gifts.  Between the things I made and etsy, he only ended up with one commercially manufactured gift: a hat.  And now that I think about it, I'm a little upset with myself about that one, because it's something I could have made! 

Why parsnips?  Because Gerry loves parsnips like only an Irishman could.  We even grew our own parsnips from seed this year, and we are not enthusiastic gardeners!  One night I was checking etsy to see if the same seeds we grew this summer were available (not yet) and spotted a cute parsnip Christmas decoration from tazzyb on etsy.

Inspiration Parsnip


One change I made was to make the greens a little less antler-like.  Unfortunately, that also meant I didn't have such a great place to attach a hanger.  To solve that problem, I added some structure to the greens with floral wire--just bent it into shape and stitched it onto the felt.  The stiffened felt they sell would have worked as well, but I was determined to make do with what I had!

I just asked Gerry to contribute a comment to the blog about his parsnips.  Here is what he said:  I was surprised, and my heart was warmed by them! 

3 comments:

Belinda said...

Awwww....That was sweet of him to say. :)

Sherry from Alabama said...

What a sweet and thoughtful gift. I've never tasted parsnips before. That must not be a southern dish. :)

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

Yehana Mccoy said...

Thank you for sharing such nice information.

Avast antivirus update key

www trendmicro com bestbuydownloads

activation code for avg

install norton using product key

how do i enter my mcafee product key

webroot activate new key code