Friday, March 2, 2012

Curbside Finds

A few weeks ago, I was on my way to work when I spotted some chairs at the curb.  I was intrigued, but I could see they needed work, and (no small matter), I needed to be at work in just a few minutes.  I almost kept going, but I just couldn't drive on without checking to make sure they couldn't be saved.  So I turned around and crept s-l-o-w-l-y along to get a better look.

One better look later, I was smitten.  These are exactly the kind of thing I've been wanting for our living room, and they didn't appear to be damaged at all, just missing some parts like, um, seats?


Yep, no seats, no cushions, and no back on one of them either.  Never mind, I wanted them.  And once I saw the labels, I knew I had to have them.


Danish!  Just as I suspected!  Now I had to figure out how to get them home...without being late for work. Don't laugh, but I even tried to stuff one in my Beetle, which was SO not happening!  Lucky for me, I heard voices coming from the backyard.  I ran back there, carrying one of the chairs, shouting, "I want these chairs!"  Once they finished laughing, they graciously offered to keep them on the porch for me until I could get back with a bigger car.  Whew!  I made it to work on time AND I got my chairs!

Now the fun begins.  First, I need to buy Fagas straps for the seats.  I had no idea such a thing even existed, but the way they work is pretty neat.  We also need this Experspring stuff to redo the back of the chair on the left.  And cushions, we'll need cushions.  My free chairs aren't going to end up being so free after all.

Not my exact chair, but close!
Okay, who is thinking, "What about No-Thing New?"  I know someone is!  No-Thing New just doesn't figure into this situation.  I am giving myself a free pass to buy whatever I need to fix these up!  Now to choose a fabric...

1 comment:

Anita said...

WooHoo! I can't wait to see the finished products! Have fun... :D