Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I Should Stand Up Straight


So this is my first official refashion as a member of Wardrobe Refashion! The other day I was looking at the Anthropologie website, seeking inspiration for a new skirt, and saw this t-shirt. (Lucky for me, a $98 t-shirt isn't even tempthing.) After zooming in closer and realizing it was just a bunch of little, gathered heart-shaped cut outs, I figured I'd give it a go.
Off to the refashioning basket, where I had a plain black t-shirt just begging to be made into something else. CHOP-the neckline was changed. CHOP CHOP-the sleeves were shortened. Most of the hearts were cut out of the chopped off pieces. It looked like it needed a few more, so I sacrificed the bottom few inches of an XL tee which was also in the basket. I figure whatever I end up doing with that XL t-shirt, it probably won't need to be that long. It isn't an exact replica of the $98 tee, but I tried to exercise restraint--theirs had just a bit TOO much vegetation on it for my liking.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

how does one spend $98 on such a T?! yours is lovely. can i ask how you attached the hearts? machine or hand stitch? something else?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Miss Fitz!

I know...$98? I'll make you one for a mere $58, lol.

I hand sewed the hearts on. It didn't take as long as I thought it might! I just took a few tiny stitches through each one, in some cases through a couple of layers (where they're clumped together). My mom gives me her almost-empty spools of thread for stuff like this, and I used up FOUR of them on this project!

Anonymous said...

Goodness - that is a gorgeous result you have. I like it better than the $98 original!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Sally! That's so nice of you to say!

Anonymous said...

It's lovely! You did a great job.

I have two black t-shirts in my donation pile & you've inspired me to take another look at them.

Anonymous said...

Roxanne, if you make one, I wanna see!