I've been starting to get the feeling that my mom thinks I've abandoned sewing. The refashions I've done? That's just fiddling around and doesn't count. So, to appease her, this weekend I made something from scratch. After all, she bought me my sewing machine, taught me to sew, and is my help line when I get stuck, so I need to keep her happy.
There's a pile of brown fabrics here in the computer/sewing/laundry room that's been blocking my path to the filing cabinet for, oh, the past three or four months. That seemed as good a place as any to start. I went through it and came up with some brown, embroidered linen I bought on clearance last year. With the embroidery and the sequins and all, I just wanted to make a simple skirt, so I went through my patterns and picked Butterick 4461. That's not my usual a-line skirt pattern, but I wanted to give it a try.
The skirt went together really well until it came time to sew in the facing at the waist. The pattern calls for ease stitching, and it does require quite a bit of easing to fit the skirt to the facing. It isn't the way I would have done it, but it came out fine (after a bit of swearing and seamripping and resewing).
The best part of all is that I didn't have to buy a thing! I had the zipper, thread, pattern, fabric, and even the flexi-lace for the hem (15 cents!). And I'm one step closer to the filing cabinet!