Monday, August 18, 2008

Groovin'

Recently, on Made By Petchy, I saw a link for a tutorial to make wrap pants. Once upon a time, someone sent me a scan of an original set of 70's directions for making these--I think they called them "2 and a half yard wrap pants." It had a groovy drawing of the finished product and everything! Alas, my file will not open. I never got around to trying them, mainly because they are so NOT the kind of thing I wear, but with the recent revival in interest, I became curious. I also needed to do something to get off my duff, because I've been sick for the past two days and haven't felt like doing anything. Blah.

There are tons of directions floating around for making these, but I happened to have a pattern, Simplicity 5508. That particular pattern seems to be out of print, but there is now Simplicity 4192 or Burda 2989, if you don't feel like winging it. The one thing the pattern includes that I don't see in the tutorials is darts. I like having darts in wrap skirts, so I was happy to have them in the pants. The pattern also had you make a waistband and ties, but I skipped that and did the bias tape cheat. The fabric was not really a good candidate for that, anyway.

Speaking of the fabric, it has been on my shelf for a good long while. I'm not even sure why I bought it, because I'm not that crazy about it, but I figured I had nothing to lose if I hated the pants, so I used it. It's actually a good fabric for these pants--gauzy and drapey-- but it has a metallic thread running through it, and IT ITCHES!

So anyway, here are the finished pants, front, back, and center!





P.S. I discovered these are a bit of a pain when you have to go to the bathroom!

5 comments:

Hashi said...

I lived in these back in the day.

Christy said...

These are so cute, I love them! BTW, I hope your stomach feels better soon!! No fun to be sick...

Darling Petunia said...

Did you, Hashi? Any hints on going to the bathroom? :-D

Darling Petunia said...

Lily...I do feel MUCH better today, thank you! The pants, however, I don't know if they're ever going to stop being itchy. That would stink if I could never wear them. Booo!

Unknown said...

Love the pants! As to the bathroom question, that didn't seem to much of a consideration back then. I went to a party once (1969) in a mini jumpsuit (wide wale corduroy) over a turtleneck body suit over tights. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. Never again worn together.

Good to hear you are feeling better; I enjoy your posts and projects over at WR.