Thursday, February 19, 2009

Lost My Head

I noticed this sweater at the thrift shop because I liked the short sleeves and the overall length. It was obviously too big, but a quick look in the mirror and some cinching it in from behind told me it had possibilities. Wardrobe Refashionistas are always chopping up sweaters and creating different shapes, so I figured I could give it a try, too. Gotta start somewhere!







Oh, but was I ever scared! Even though the sweater was only $2.50, I hated to ruin it and waste the money. I asked for advice, and several wonderful people told me exactly what to do. Thanks, Janey, Zumbida, and Myra! They all said to baste first, then use a zig zag stitch. Worked like a charm!










How do you like my scarecrow pose? People keep asking me why I never have a head. Well, because I always look wretched when I'm working on this stuff. Hair a mess, bleary eyes.












A slightly more natural pose, albeit headless.

5 comments:

Christy said...

cute sweater! I am always headless in my pics too. :)

Anonymous said...

Love it! I, like you, have a soft spot for short-sleeved sweaters. I have a few sweaters that I have been hanging on to, hoping to use, but too chicken to try it. Did you sew this by hand or machine? Anyway, turned out great!

Darling Petunia said...

Occasional Martha, it was all done on the machine. If you really squint, you can see the zig-zag stitch in the close up picture. I set the stitch length pretty short, but not as short as it would go. Janey suggested going over it twice, and I think I might do that as well...just to be sure.

Harmie said...

^_^ Cuuuute... and it helped me know how to alter my own sweater... that I don't want to take off... aaah...

Paula said...

Oh I like that!