Lately, many of my sewing hours have been spent trying to figure out if I could make a decent skirt out of one yard of fabric. If I had just trusted myself, I could have saved a lot of time.
This afternoon, I cut myself a one-yard piece from a length of scrap fabric my mom had given me. Then I went and dug this skirt out of the hamper--a basic, pull-on skirt with an elastic waist. I measured the waistband, which, as expected, equaled my hip measurement (you have to be able to pull it on, after all). Then I measured the hem, which was a few inches wider. Okay. Onto the fabric.
Wow, are these graphics professional or what?
I started with the fabric folded in half. Ta da!
From here I started to think, okay, what are my limitations?
I need a decent length. Most of my skirts are around 22 to 25 inches long. So, 22 inches, plus hem, plus elastic casing, I need a minimum of 23.5 inches. That means I can't cut this thing out horizontally, because that measurement is only about 22 inches. Cutting two pieces. one on top of the other, on the fold is also out, because that would only give me 18 inches in length (36 divided in half).
If I were a tiny little thing, I could cut it out as shown. But in order to get that little bit of flare towards the bottom, the maximum waist measurement would be about 16 inches x 2 = 32 inches. That wouldn't make it over my hips.
If you're tiny like that, you don't need this tutorial. You can probably make skirts out of table napkins.
Okay, so I quickly realized I'd have to fold this chunk of fabric the other way. Then, having 44/45 inches in length to work with, I can cut a front and a back on the fold and end up with a skirt that's almost an acceptable length for me. I figured I'd give that a try, just to see how it turned out.
But as I was marking off the fabric...I realized...hey...there's going to be a really long strip of fabric left over.
A really long strip of fabric that I could gather.
A really long strip of fabric that I could gather and sew onto the bottom as a ruffle.
A really long strip of fabric that I could gather and sew onto the bottom as a ruffle and make the skirt longer!
And so I got to work.
And here's the finished product, with which I am very pleased indeed. I'm so happy with it, I've almost forgotten how my bobbin thread tangled up, oh, about 57 times.