Saturday, July 18, 2009


Okay, I could not move on until I did something about this dress. A few of you almost had me convinced that the sleeves didn't look too heinous, but then Shojin suggested I wear it only at home and I thought, "THAT'S IT! It's horrible! The sleeves are coming OFF!"

I got right to it with the seam ripper. Thirty seconds later: Uh oh. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Those seams were doubled as well as topstitched. And trimmed. Yikes. If I ever got the stupid sleeves off, would there be enough seam allowance left to sew on the new ones?

Nothing left but to try. I used the other sleeve option from the pattern, New Look 6803, and just hacked them off to a shorter length.

The sleeve shape, once hacked, was a little fuller than I wanted, so I took a little pleat at the hem of each sleeve. With the pleats at the neckline, I thought that was a reasonable solution.

Whew! I am so much happier with this now! Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to change the sleeves or do something besides give up on it! Now I must remember: No cap sleeves. Ever.


Karin said...

I must say: i admire your persistence. When it comes to picking apart something that I made, especially when I sewed it very thorough, I have to admit not to be the most patient person. Most of those objects become UFO's ;-)

The sleeves look great!

Elizabeth said...

The new sleeves look great - good on ya for your persistence. Personally, I think cap sleeves may well be the devil's work - can't imagine anybody's arms they make look good.

Krista said...

I love the little pleat on the new sleeve, it sets it off just right. Yay!

shojin said...

Argh! While I hate to think I made you feel bad about the dress, I *love* the new sleeves! I'm another admirer of your persistence and I'm encouraged to try harder in my own efforts.