Monday, September 7, 2009

Back to School

This is me on my first day, back in 1972. If you weren't born yet in 1972, just hush up, because I don't want to hear about it.

Like my school bag? I wish I still had it. It was RED and PLAID and I loved it. I'm sure it was dead empty, but I insisted on taking it.

My Grams bought me that dress, and it was a Great Big Deal because not only did we go to Hess's Department Store (which was pretty swanky), but it was also the first time I'd been in a dressing room. Mom made all my clothes, so it was a great novelty! You can't see it in the picture, but the top was striped, and it had two shiny brass buttons at the waist.

7 comments:

BJ_Mama said...

So adorable! My mom used to make a lot of my clothes too!

Donna said...

In 1972, I was starting my first day of graduate school. So you hush LOL.

Rhonda Moon said...

Oh, you are so funny and how is it that we can remember little tidbits like that?

Anonymous said...

You are adorable!!! What do you have hanging around your neck?

My mom made most of my clothes, too. We even had matching dresses for Easter. :-) I have a small bit of fabric left from one of our Easter dress sets that's still in perfect shape. I'm trying to decide what to do with it.

I love your blog!
Mags

Oh, and by 1972, I was in 4th grade.

Allison said...

Hess's! Wow--haven't thought about that store in a long time. We went to the one in Doylestown and my grandma still gets her perms there, I think.
*sigh* I can still remember longing for anything from the Esprit section....

I was in utero in 1972 :)

Anonymous said...

Awwww, cute Susan. I remember Hess dept. store. We'd go to lunch at the patio restaurant and have that famous strawberry pie! yum

Langevoort said...

that was my post above...look at me being all anonymous??