Saturday, March 13, 2010

Books, Part One

Apologies to anyone who is subscribed and received an odd, half-written post. I somehow managed to "Publish Post" with my wrist. Is there some way to recall a post once you've published it? One of these days I will learn how to work this blog thing.

ANYWAY, as I was saying...

It must have been a long time since I last did a book post. The little slip of paper in my bedside drawer where I write down the titles I've read has become TWO slips, and they're both full! I better get right to it.
.

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler: I picked this up because we got a shiny new copy at the library, and I've never read much Anne Tyler. After reading it? I think I know why I haven't read much Anne Tyler. I know she's very popular, but I was (hate to admit it) so bored.

Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper: A library patron and fellow cat lover recommended this book about a cat with no eyes. It's really kind of remarkable to read about how this cat functions, but a short article would have been sufficient. Yes, Homer can teach us about leaps of faith and moving beyond our shortcomings, and yes, Gwen Cooper's devotion to all her cats is commendable, but it just didn't draw me in.
.

This might be a good time to admit something: Despite loving cats and working at a library, I could not get into Dewey. He sure was a cutie, though, and he has his own website.


Making the Rounds with Oscar by David Dosa: Another cat book--hey, when I do something, I do it BIG! Of all the cat books, I enjoyed this one the most. Oscar is a cat who lives at a nursing home. He's not a particularly snuggly cat and is usually stand-offish, but he shows up, without fail, when a resident is dying. Yes, the cat is what drew me to this book, but it has so much wisdom to offer about aging and dying and relationships.

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe: We suddenly started getting all sorts of requests for this book at the library, so I had to see what all the fuss was about. I had such mixed feelings about it! I liked the story and the characters, but there is a supernatural element in it that just didn't work for me. Too bad.


Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve: I kept saying to Gerry, "This book is SO MUCH like another one I've read." Well, I guess so--I'd read this very same book before! I wonder how I liked it the first time, because I really enjoyed it this time. This was one of those books that made me slow down and savor every page.



Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb: Amazing how I get around to reading these Christmas books in February! This was so good! It's like a combination of A Christmas Story (the movie) and The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.

Part Two tomorrow!

No comments: