Friday, April 9, 2010

Book Pile

The 24 Hour Read-a-Thon is TOMORROW! Looking for something to read?

The Body in the Belfry by Katherine Hall Page: I'm still searching for a series to take up when I've finished all the Rhys Bowen mysteries, and someone suggested I try the Faith Fairchild series. It was okay, but very dated.


Do Not Disturb by Kate Kingsbury: A library patron suggested I try the Pennyfoot Hotel series. (Go here for a cute story about how the series was named.) The books get mixed reviews at Amazon, but I liked it. I don't know if it was historically accurate or not, but I'm not using it for dissertation research, so I don't really care!

Secrets of Eden by Chris Bohjalian: I am a fan of Chris Bohjalian, and I did like the book, but it seemed a little lazy to me. If you're a fan of Jodi Picoult, it is very much in that vein.



Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout: Okay, how embarrassing is this: A patron comes to my desk at the library and asks for this book. I look it up and find it's checked out everywhere. "Oh," I muse, "is this a book discussion title or something?" Dummy me didn't know it had won the Pulitzer Price for fiction.


I found it a little complicated and had to reread a few parts to fit it all together, but it's worth it. Something about it reminded me of The Hours.




The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf: I have to admit, it held my interest despite being very contrived. If you're good at suspending disbelief, you might like it.



Pink Slip Party by Cara Lockwood: This was definitely the biggest question mark on my pile of books. It looked so pink and bubblegummy and romancey. Why did I bring it home? Surprise! It turned out to be one of my favorites! Yes, it's screwy and over the top and very chick-litious, but Lockwood is funny. But what's with these new demon books, Cara? I've been steering clear of all the vampire/paranormal books. Am I going to have to revise my policy?





Live a Little: Breaking the Rules Won't Break Your Health by Susan M. Love and Alice D. Domar: "Eat a Brownie! Blow off your run!" The basic message of this book is that you can be "Pretty Healthy" without being fanatical. It's a good message, but it loses its punch after the first few repetitions.


Vittoria Cottage by D.E. Stevenson: Ah, my monthly dose of Stevenson. Have I piqued anyone's interest in these old fashioned books yet?


Tainted by Brooke Morgan: Man, I certainly went heavy on the suspense this time around! I almost abandoned this one after the first fifty pages. It starts out very syrupy with a too-good-to-be-true romance, but it gets better when it turns dark.
.
Breaking the Silence by Diane Chamberlain: I should have known better than to read another book about a selectively mute child so soon after The Weight of Silence. Of the two, this one was less satisfying. Read like a plumped up romance novel.


Benny & Shrimp by Katarina Mazetti: Loved loved loved it. A librarian and a cow farmer meet at a graveyard and fall into a relationship. Admit it: You know you're curious!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Try the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear. Very good! Also have you read all the Daphne du Maurier? Although not a series, very good mystery/suspense writing. And Mary Stewart is always good.

Siri said...

Just thought I should let you know that "Benny & Shrimp" has been made into a sweet movie as well: http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/278034/The-Guy-In-The-Grave-Next-Door/overview