Sunday, January 22, 2012

Red Scoops

So, I caved.  It wasn't a huge transgression, but I feel compelled to confess.  I bought some plastic scoops.

Exhibit A.
Nevermind that I bought them in the "last chance" section of the thrift store.  Disregard the fact that they were only fifty cents for the pair. And forget the fact that I'm going to use them for scooping my homemade laundry soap and dish detergent.  When it comes right down to it, something else around here would have done just as well.  And so I have sinned. 

I'm starting to get itchy about not shopping.  The first two weeks went by without a hitch, but now I'm wondering if it wasn't the thrill of the toaster-oven hunt keeping me happy.  Well, to be honest, I'm sure that's the case.  Now that I'm not actively looking for anything, I have this what-can-I-buy feeling gnawing away at me, and that's what lured me to the thrift shop.

The thrift shop is a real minefield right now.  On one hand, there is "no-thing new" there, so I am allowed to buy stuff as long as it is something I really need.  Browsing, which is what I did, really shouldn't be happening.  Yes, I only spent a half a buck, but it's sort of like someone taking a few puffs when they're trying to quit smoking.  If what I wish to do is break the shopping addiction, I need to learn how to resist this urge.

 
But, hey, at least I can recognize what's a work here, and that's progress.  But I have mixed feelings about my red scoops right now!

6 comments:

Christy said...

I have heard that denying yourself something, making it totally off limits to yourself, actually increases your desire to do it and leads to a greater chance of falling completely off the wagon rather than a minor slip. Granted, this was being applied to dieting, but nonetheless I have found that it definitely applies to me and I am more successful at both dieting and handling money if I allow some wiggle room and don't punish myself mentally when I slip.

Darling Petunia said...

Christy, I hear ya, but I think I need to treat these early days like detox. Even having the leeway to buy certain things seems to leave me vulnerable, because I'm always thinking, "Hmm, what might I NEED?" just so I can have an excuse to go shopping. I hate learning this about myself, but I feel like I'm actually addicted to the hunt.

Anonymous said...

But is it really so bad to be addicted to the browsing if you do not overspend? Certainly there are worse things you can do that are relaxing and enjoyable...

Anonymous said...

I'm still not sure what is motivating your crusade but life is too short to beat yourself up over 50 cents.

Anita said...

While I think I understand how you are feeling, I just need to tell you: I LOVE the red scoops! How about if you now donate 2 things to make up for bringing in 2 things? Except that isn't the real reason you are angst-ing...

Anonymous said...

but they're RED!!! just sayiin'

Robyn