Sunday, January 22, 2012

S'more Books!



True Grit by Charles Portis: Very good, just as you'd expect.  A nice change of pace from all the girly books I read!  My library has none of his other books, but I'd like to give one a try.




Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout: The story itself is nothing new, but the book is packed with emotions.  Worth reading.

Tinsel: A Search for America's Christmas Present by Hank Stuever: I read some cynical books about Christmas this year!  This is a series of essays about the trappings of Christmas--outdoor lights, Black Friday, etc.  Interesting in parts, but uneven.

Nice to Come Home To by Rebecca Flowers: Chick lit with a cute cover!  Enjoyed it well enough, though.

Hector and the Search for Happiness by Francois Lelord: One of those small books with a big message.  It was okay.  It didn't change my life, but I wasn't left gagging!  :)


The Soldier's Wife by Margaret Leroy: I found this book while searching for books similar to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  Aside from being set on Guernsey, they aren't that alike, but I really liked this book.  I'm surprised it isn't better known.  Definitely recommend it!




There But For The by Ali Smith: This was on a "Best of 2011" list somewhere, so I gave it a try.  Wasn't quite my thing. 


The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly: I'm a bit embarrassed about this one, but I kind of loved it.  It's completely improbable, but who cares?  And it's the first in a trilogy, so I get to read more!  Whee!





Pretty Ugly by Karyn Langhorne Folan: I had a young library patron ask about this series, so I tried one.  I tried, really I did, but I couldn't get through it.  There are so many better YA books out there.


This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper: Highly recommend this book.  One of my favorites.  How did this get past me when it first came out?  Looks like they're turning it into a movie, so get it while it's still on the shelf!




The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides: Aw, poor Jeffrey Eugenides.  He isn't going to get top billing in my post.  That's okay--he's had enough hoopla.  I liked the book, but it was a little pretentious for my tastes. 

Domestic Violets by Matthew Norman: This was a pleasant surprise!  It gets absolutely NO attention at the library, but I am going to try to put it in more hands.  It's funny and touching, and I think it's going to explode once it's made into a movie.  (I feel like I'm really twisting the knife on Mr. Eugenides now, sandwiching him between two books I liked better than his!)

No comments: