Friday, February 5, 2010

Tweet


I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now, because I finally sat down and sewed something! Yay for me! I promised my mom I would make an apron for Mrs. Boone, and I promised Mrs. Boone I would make an apron for Mrs. Boone, so it was time to get to work.

Mrs. Boone was our neighbor when I was little. She lived across the back yard and would show up every other week or so with People magazines (and sometimes baked goods or home-grown vegetables) to sit at the kitchen table with my mom and bum cigarettes. I would hover around and listen to her Alabama accent and be a pest.

When I asked my mom if she had any anecdotes to share about Mrs. B, and she said, "Do you remember when Daddy and I had to go to a funeral and we left you with Mrs. Boone? You stood at her sliding glass door in back and screamed for your mommy. You were scared of her."

Not exactly what I had in mind, but if that's the first thing that came to mind, I guess it's important.

This is Simplicity 7052, which I think of as the Mrs. Cleaver apron. The bird print came from Jo-Ann's and was picked because Mom and Mrs. Boone always called each other when they saw the first robin of spring. It's sort of Valentine-y, isn't it?

Happy Valentine's Day, Mrs. Boone. I hope I wasn't too much of a pest all those years.

6 comments:

KLS said...

SUPER cute!

Denise said...

It's amazing what we remember and what our parents remember isnt it? Excellent work on the apron, love the fabric!

Care said...

I love that birdie print, and almost bought it this week!

We had a Mrs. Boone -- but she was Mrs. Sorenson, and would give us cherries. They hated our cat for "fertilizing" their garden........

Christy said...

i love that fabric, i don't remember seeing it at Joanns!

dude said...

that fabric makes my wallet burn..... but i will be strong

Fiona said...

What gorgeous fabric - so hard to get anything that nice in the UK - and when I find it, it's almost always from the US and costs quite a lot! I like the apron so much I think I'd wear it as a dress. Very well done and I love your anecdotes.