Of all things, PAJAMAS have been one of my biggest temptations during my Wardrobe Refashion pledges. I think that's because my own nightgowns and pajamas are starting to look a little tired, and all the new PJs look so fresh and crisp in the stores. I've managed to resist temptation by sewing some new nightwear, but I wanted something new for the summer.
None of the current nightie patterns were quite what I wanted, so I was thrilled to find this vintage 1968 pattern at the thrift shop for fifty cents! It had been cut, but that was the era before multi-sized patterns, so it was okay.
I decided to make the knee-length version. Looks a little like Amy Butler's Anna tunic, doesn't it?
There were several fabrics in my stash that I considered for this project, but I finally settled on a blue and green floral sheet I'd thrifted a few months ago. It's all soft and broken in, so perfect for sleepwear. Other refashioners have used sheets for skirts, dresses, etc. I'm still worried that everyone will point and scream "SHEET!", so this was a good compromise for me!
In keeping with the thrifted theme, I rooted out some blue hem tape my mom had given me. Like how the price was written right on it? The outer layer was also kind of filthy, but there was enough clean tape under there to cut down into bias tape to finish the armholes.
What? You've never seen someone standing in the middle of the yard in their nightgown? Holding a pillow and having their picture taken?
Happens all the time around here.
As I was sewing this, I was struck by the "vintage-ness" of the directions. Things they would spell out nowadays must have been common knowledge back then. The directions also included a TON of hand sewing. Parts of it I did as instructed, other parts I whacked out on the machine.
I also tried the blind hem stitch on my machine for the first time. Let me tell you, that is pretty slick! I'm not sure I'm adept enough to use it on real clothes, yet, but it has potential!
In the back, they left this huge, huge opening. It didn't take me long to figure out I wasn't going to need it, so I sewed it up completely and just stitched the buttons on for show. I mean, really. No one's head is that big!