I've been trying to come up with new things to wear during the transition from warm to cold weather, when it's not quite cold enough for lots of layers, tights, boots, but I still want the feel of a new season. I found this sweater at the thrift shop for a few dollars. I liked the color and the style, but the buttons really dated it.
A couple seconds with the seam ripper took care of the buttons. Unfortunately, nothing I do ever comes off without incident, and I managed to poke a bit of a hole in the shoulder as well. Argh! Luckily, I caught it and sewed it up before it got too big, and it's barely noticeable.
I used the corduroy from this haul to make the skirt. The cargo-style I'd originally envisioned didn't seem like such a good idea after all, because I just wanted something very simple to wear with longer, bulkier sweaters. I finally settled on a pattern I'd made a while back...darn, I wish I could remember the pattern company/number, but that'll have to wail until I get home. It almost doesn't matter, though, because after sewing it up as written, I made a bunch of changes, and it looks nothing like the original design!
I'm pleased with the final result, but I went about it in such a roundabout way, I don't know if I can ever duplicate it. Either my next go at it will run more smoothly, or it will be a complete disaster!