Saturday, February 26, 2011

On the Needles

Check me out--I'm knitting! "Knitting" was one of the very first categories I created when I started blogging back in 2008, but you don't see me do much of it. As I explained back in one of my very first posts, I really only like to knit very basic, mindless things. That's fine, but you can only make so many scarves. I've even given up knitting scarves for charity, because I see huge piles of handknits scarves at the thrift shop.

But when I found this project stuffed in a bag, the knitting bug came back. I loved the idea of that wrap--just a rectangle with three openings for your arms--but the sample, let's face it, is hideous. I was attempting to adjust the proportions so it wouldn't be so drapey and engulfing, but it wasn't coming out the way I'd imagined.

I took to the internet, hoping to find someone who'd made something similar, and TA DA! I found exactly what I was looking for! Leonie on Cuppa & Cake has instructions for a simple knitted wrap vest which is exactly what I had in mind!

Well, as soon as I saw her adorable version, I unraveled the loosely knit craziness I'd been working on and decided to start over. This all happened earlier this month during the Fiscal Fast, so I had to work with what I had. Luckily, I had a huge skein of yarn from Ireland stashed in one of my plastic totes. (See, I KNEW I bought that for a reason!) Here are my scribbles, figuring out how many stitches to cast on, where to put the armholes, etc. And get this: I even made a SWATCH to get my gauge right! I know, right?

See how this works? It's just a big block of garter stitch with slits in it. It's all about the wrapping and draping. I've been sticking my arm through the first slit and admiring the drape in the mirror, but I can't wait 'til it's finished and I can try it on properly! If I'd spend more time knitting and less time admiring...

No comments: